“The Labour Party has been instrumental in building the economic recovery and restoring Ireland’s economic sovereignty. That was the single biggest task we faced upon taking office, and we did it while maintaining industrial peace and social cohesion. But we’ve delivered much more than that. Here are ten things I’m particularly proud of:
1. We raised the minimum wage after Fianna Fail had cut it. And we’ve established the Low Pay Commission to examine the minimum wage every year from now on.
2. We protected the weekly pension, and other core welfare rates.
3. Our primary schools have now achieved the best reading and maths results in 30 years, a great legacy from Ruairi Quinn to Jan O’Sullivan.
4. Alan Kelly has secured a record €4 billion investment package for social housing.
5. We legislated for the X case.
6. We opened the doors and the files of the Magdelene Laundries to give the women who were incarcerated a just and honest settlement. And now we’re shining the same light on the Mother and Baby Homes.
7. We’ve secured agreement on collective bargaining to protect and enhance workers’ rights – because industrial peace is central to renewed prosperity.
8. We’ve introduced ground-breaking legislation to protect whistle-blowers, regulate lobbyists and enhance Freedom of Information – all vital measures to safeguard our democracy.
9. Alex White is building on the excellent work of Pat Rabbitte to deliver high-speed broadband to every part of the country.
10. We fought to secure, and then fought to win, the marriage equality referendum.”